The Joint Admission and Matriculation Board have accepted to be flexible in application of cut-off marks for Universities and Polytechnics in Nigeria. This decision was taken on the 18th of November 2016, in the Second technical committee meeting on 2016 Admissions to Consider 2nd Choice Admissions in Tertiary Institutions, held in Imo State. The Registrar of JAMB, Prof. Is-haq Olarewaju Oloyede in his address unveiled the new developments and ideas that have been introduced in JAMB in order to ensure the smooth exercise of 2016 Admission process. Other dignitaries who were present in the committee meeting were; the Governor of Imo State, Chief Rochas Okorocha, represented by his deputy, Prince Eze Madumere; the Chairman Imo State Traditional Rulers Council, Eze Samuel Agunwa; the Provost of Alvan Ikoku College of Education. The decisions taken during the technical meeting were:
1. That 30th November, 2016 shall be the last day for Admission into Public Universities in Nigeria.
2. That JAMB has accepted to be flexible in application of Cut-off marks: that is Polytechnics can now come down to 120 and Universities 150 respectively.
3. That regularization of Candidates who were not properly admitted in various institutions shall be done online.
4. That those candidates who were given Admission in their 2nd and 3rd choice Institutions shall be notified by the various Institutions to go online and formalize their Admission as first choice admission. After this, they should print it out and bring it to that Institution which the Institution in turn forward to JAMB office Abuja.
5. That Change of course can only be allowed twice for candidates by JAMB.
6. That students should not be allowed to matriculate without JAMB admission letter.
7. That first choice admission must come first before considering the 2nd and 3rd admission in order to avoid the problem of the past. Such a problem arises where candidates wait for admission opportunities in two institutions at the same time, thereby creating problem of not picking admission offer in their second choice in time
The JAMB Registrar, constituted three committees to handle some problems that might arise in the course of the 2016 Admission exercise.